Welcome LL readers. The page you are looking for is here: What_Makes_Freespire_Special?
With so many Linux distributions out there to choose from, you may be asking, “What makes Freespire special, or different from all the rest?” Here is a quick list of the main differences you’ll find in Freespire than most other Linux distributions. Things That Make Freespire Special
- Freespire has a unique philosophy with respect to open source software. Freespire combines the best open sourceand free software to offer (community-driven, freely distributed, access to source code, etc.), but also provides users with the choice of proprietary codecs , drivers and applications as they see fit. Freespire believes users should be completely free to use any software they wish on their Linux computer, without restrictions or limitations, including proprietary, open source, free, and commercial products. – Learn more .
- Freespire is designed specifically for use on the desktop . This focus shows in the level of polish and attention to detail you’ll find in Freespire running on desktop and laptop computers. – Learn more .
- Freespire offers the easiest to use and most powerful applications management system, CNR – Learn more .
- Freespire uses an ubuntu core based on Debian with ability to freely use apt-get , Synaptic or CNR. – Learn more .
- Because Freespire includes 3rd party proprietary drivers, codecs and applications software, it has better hardware, file type and multimedia support , including out-of-the-box support for: MP3, Windows Media, Real, QuickTime, Java, Flash, ATI , nVidia, modems, etc. – Learn more .
- Freespire allows you to purchase and install legal, commercial applications , all with just one click, such as CyberLink PowerDVD player, Codeweaver Crossover, Win4Lin, TransGaming Cedega, Sun StarOffice, MyBooks, Bitstream Fonts, ThinkFree Office, commercial games, and more. – Learn more .
- Freespire does not just take open source programs and “toss them in.” There are hundreds of changes made to programs such as Firefox, Thunderbird, KDE, GIMP, OpenOffice, etc. that you’ll find in Freespire and the CNR Warehouse programs. – Learn more .
- Freespire is designed to be the easiest desktop Linux distribution in the world , yet still powerful and secure. – Learn more .
- Freespire uses the community IRMA project to provide Freespire in dozens of different languages . – Learn more .
- With Linspire as the lead sponsor and maintainer, Freespire is backed by a strong, stable company , so you know it will be around in the future. – Learn more .
- Freespire has an experienced Leadership Board , composed of thinkers, business people, evangelists, and key members of the Linux community, such as Ian Murdock, Kevin Shockey, Martin Michlmayr, Kevin Carmony, and more. You will find these leaders active in the forums, discussion lists, and are always accessible by all. – Learn more .
- Freespire has a strong, active and vibrant community , where all are welcome to participate at any level their time and talents will allow. – Learn more .
- Freespire Can Be Purchased pre-installed on desktop and laptop computers ( Learn more ) or installed in under 10 minutes ( Learn more ).
- Freespire is free to download ( Learn more ) and free to redistribute ( Learn more ) and it’s free to install new software with CNR ( Learn more ).
Why not try Freespire youself ? It’s free. Nothing to lose. You can even run it “live,” directly from the CD, without installing anything. This is a great way to test Freespire with your existing hardware. If you then decide to install it, that takes only about 10 minutes.
Freespire is a community-involved, Linux-based operating system that combines the best that free, open source software has to offer (community involved, freely distributed, open source code, etc.), but also provides users the choice of including proprietary codecs , drivers and applicationsas they see fit. With Freespire, the choice is yours with what software is installed on your computer, with no limitations or restrictions placed on that choice. How you choose to maximize the performance of your computer is entirely up to you.
Freespire 2.0 begins with Ubuntu (Version 7.04) Freespire’s capabilities:
- CNR Plugin provides free one-click access to thousands of open source applications, as well as options for legally licensed DVD playback software, Sun’s StarOffice, Parallels Workstation, Win4Lin, CodeWeaver’s Crossover Office, TransGaming’s Cedega, commercial games and many more.
- KDE is an easy-to-use and comfortable interface, with a familiar look & feel for Apple Mac and Microsoft Windows users.
- Enhanced applications and features are added for enhanced usability and ease of use, modifying software applications like Firefox and Thunderbird, along with adding Linspire-sponsored open source software like Nvu, Lsongs and Lphoto.
- Proprietary software is added when necessary, like Java, Flash and Adobe Acrobat, to provide overall increased interoperability.
- Proprietary codecs are added to expand multimedia compatibility and provide superior overall experience so users can listen to MP3 files, play Windows Media files, and much more.
- Proprietary drivers are added to expand hardware compatibility and provide optimum 3D graphic card support, better WiFi support, and more.
Also, Freespire …
- It is always made available for free use, distribution and modification, now and forever.
- It is powerful enough for the most sophisticated Linux user or developer, yet easy enough for someone completely new to Linux.
- Provides free access to the entire Freespire open source application pool using apt-get.
- Includes a complete development environment, which can be easily expanded using apt-get or CNR.
- Provides easy-to-use yet advanced installation and configuration options.
- It is secure with non-root Admin login features and strict firewall.
- Use the community IRMA project to provide Freespire in dozens of different languages.
- It is community supported at no charge, with optional enhanced support available.