Freespire is a community-involved, Linux-based operating system that combines the best that free, open source software has to offer (community involved, freely distributed, open source code, etc.), but also provides users the choice of including proprietary codecs, drivers and applications as they see fit. With Freespire, the choice is yours as to what software is installed on your computer, with no limitations or restrictions placed on that choice. How you choose to maximize the performance of your computer is entirely up to you.
Freespire 2.0 begins with Ubuntu (Version 7.04) as its baseline and then adds software from six broad categories, further expanding Freespire’s capabilities:
- CNR Plugin provides free one-click access to thousands of open source applications, as well as options for legally licensed DVD playback software, Sun’s StarOffice, Parallels Workstation, Win4Lin, CodeWeaver’s Crossover Office, TransGaming’s Cedega, commercial games and many more.
- KDE is added for an easier-to-use and more comfortable interface, with a familiar look & feel for Apple Mac and Microsoft Windows users.
- Enhanced applications and features are added for enhanced usability and ease of use, modifying software applications like Firefox and Thunderbird, along with adding Linspire-sponsored open source software like Nvu, Lsongs and Lphoto.
- Proprietary software is added when necessary, like Java, Flash and Adobe Acrobat, to provide overall increased interoperability.
- Proprietary codecs are added to expand multimedia compatibility and provide a superior overall experience so users can listen to MP3 files, play Windows Media files, and much more.
- Proprietary drivers are added to expand hardware compatibility and provide optimum 3D graphic card support, better WiFi support, and more.
- Is always made available for free use, distribution and modification, now and forever.
- Is powerful enough for the most sophisticated Linux user or developer, yet easy enough for someone completely new to Linux.
- Provides free access to the entire Freespire open source application pool using apt-get.
- Includes a total development environment, which can be easily expanded using apt-get or CNR.
- Provides easy-to-use yet advanced installation and configuration options.
- Is secure with non-root Admin login features and strict firewall.
- Utilizes the community IRMA project to provide Freespire in dozens of different languages.
- Is community supported at no charge, with optional enhanced support available.
To learn more, here are some links you’ll find helpfull:
- Quick Tour of Freespire
- Freespire FAQ page
- The Freespire Vision
- Freespire Roadmap
- 15 Things that Make Freespire Special
- Download Freespire 2.0 Now or Order it on CD
- Freespire Wiki
- Freespire Forum
- Freespire Leadership
- What users and the media are saying about Freespire
The Freespire Community – Get Involved!
Freespire is a completely community-involved project. We invite you to get involved and help the Freespire project in whatever way suits your time and talents. Everyone is welcome to participate, whether doing development work, helping with translations, providing graphics or help documentation, supporting other users, or simply spreading the word about Freespire. Visit our community information page to learn more, and get involved by joining a Freespire mailing list.